Sunday, February 26, 2023

A Silky Edition: Wine Tasting 8 (Red Blend)

 WASSSUP Reader,

  To conclude my tastings this week, my girlfriend picked out a red blend from the grocery store. As she is attracted to the sweeter, fruity reds (with cute labels), she stumbled upon Acronym's Silk Red Blend. While we only had one glass after the Rosé in the previous tasting (I finished that bottle which could have an impact on this tasting), I enjoyed this wine and am excited to pour myself another glass later this week.


Name: Acronym. Silk Red Blend
Variety: Red Blend
Country: United States
Region: California 
Vintage: 2019
Price: $8


From the Winery (Bottle, their website, and Kroger's website):
    Tasting like fresh strawberry brightness, with silky hints of cherry, this wine has delicate acidity and a soft finish. This wine has rich layers of dark plum, black cherry, and notes of cocoa that lead to complex tannins and a lingering finish. This wine would compliment roast pork, vegetarian portobello mushroom burgers, sausage and cheese appetizers, and most anything that hits the grill. 
From Wine Folly (p. 150):
    This comes from the Cabernet Noir page which is similar to the description on the website.
    The most popular light-bodied red that is loved for its red fruit, spice flavors, and long, smooth, soft-tannin finish, this versatile wine can be paired with duck, chicken, pork, and mushrooms for its lower tannins and higher acidity. It has tastes of cherry, raspberry, clove, mushroom, and vanilla.
My Review of Rosé:
    On the first pass with he nose, I got hit with strawberries hard. This could be a placebo from seeing it on the label and having had a heavily strawberry focused Rosé prior. Also on the nose, I picked up a creaminess, almost as if a little vanilla cream was there. There is also a note of dark cherries. From the tongue, you get a lot of red fruits, led specifically by strawberries. But you also get the sweetness of the vanilla with it. The sweetness also stems from a raspberry taste that one would get from biting a chocolate truffle and getting one with raspberry filling. The taste is quite lasting in the back of the mouth and is really pleasant. 
    In comparison with the winery (Kroger specifically), I disagree with the cocoa and think that they got the opposite flavor. Vanilla seems to be more recognizable. Other than that (and the fact that I cannot truly imagine what a dark plum tastes like), I agree with the rest of the descriptors. I think that the lingering finish is something to note as it really steps this wine up from being a basic, easy drinking red to a more complex red.
    In comparison with Wine Folly, I get the red fruit, especially the cherry, raspberry, and vanilla aromas and flavors. However, I do not get clove or mushroom. I don't know how to look for these flavors so I will try to look for them next time if I was right that this Red Blend is similar to that of a Pinot Noir. 

Final Remarks:
    An easy drinking red, I am excited to finish the rest of the bottle. Especially on its own, this is a wine that would be great to pair with chocolate dishes. While I don't have the best grill skills, I may have to pick up a burger from B37 and see if the wine holds up its side of the pairing bargain. I am also excited to see if this red wine matures a little more as its aged by the air.

Until the Next Drink,
JC

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Silky Edition: Wine Tasting 8 (Red Blend)

 WASSSUP Reader,    To conclude my tastings this week, my girlfriend picked out a red blend from the grocery store. As she is attracted to t...