Sunday, February 19, 2023

Sangriaaaaaaaa: Wine Tasting 6 (Tempranillo)

 OLO Reader!

Last week, I got to concoct a sangria using the base of a Spanish wine. With recommendations coming from my mother, I created a sangria utilizing Campo Viejo's Tempranillo, a sangria packet from Columbia Restaurant in Siesta Key Florida, oranges, limes, lemons, orange liquor, and pineapple. While the sangria could have been better (I added WAY to much fruit), it was incredibly tasty and something that I hope to recreate again. Nonetheless, this red is tasty-ish on its own.



Name: Campo Viejo's Rioja
Variety: Tempranillo
Country: Spain
Region: Rioja
Vintage: 2020
Price: $10


From the Winery (Website):
    Ripe with black plum and berry fruit, as well as dark/earthy flavors and a cacao finish, this wine has beautiful complexity. Aromatic hints of violet, lavender, vanilla, cedar, and spice, the palate is truly full bodied with plush richness and gentle acidity. Fine grain and ripe tannins also contribute to the structure of the wine across the full length of the palate.
From Wine Folly (p. 175):
    Spain's top variety, made famous by the wines of Rioja, where wines are classified by how long they age in oak. With hints of cherry, dried fig, cedar, tobacco, and dill, this wine can be paired with steaks, burgers, lamb, baked pasta, and other tomato based dishes.
    
My Review of Tempranillo:
    As a wine I typically wouldn't try unless making sangria, this wine was very tasty but not really my style. As always, I try to find appreciation for everything and anything in the wines a try. This wine smelled very much so of jammy and cacao on the nose initially, with hints of vanilla in the second whiff. On the taste, I got the jammy again, with both cacao and vanilla secondly. The jammy could be recognized as fig, I just haven't had fig in wine enough to know. I do enjoy figs however.
    I somewhat agree with the winery, as stated above, but I do not taste the cedar or lavender in it.
    With wine folly, I agree with everything but dill. I don't necessarily know the exact taste of fresh dill, but I imagine the taste is similar to pickles. It may be something I need to learn how to taste for.

Final Remarks:
    A great wine for the sangria, which was a perfect sugary drink for the super bowl, this wine is not my personal favorite but a good step outside of my comfort zone. I hope to continue to try different wines, especially different tempranillos in the future. I also hope to make more sangria soon too :)

Until the Next Drink,
JC

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Silky Edition: Wine Tasting 8 (Red Blend)

 WASSSUP Reader,    To conclude my tastings this week, my girlfriend picked out a red blend from the grocery store. As she is attracted to t...