Sunday, February 5, 2023

Experiment in the Lab: Wine Tasting 4 (Pinot Noir)

 Howdy Reader!

As stated before, this past Friday, I had the delightful pleasure to go to the Wine Lab in Blacksburg, VA with some great friends to get some great food and drink. After starting with the Paul D Zeigelt Rosé, we decided as a table to share our bottles of wine. After tasting the Sassi Puglia Pinot Grigio (sadly I don't have a picture with it so will have to go back and get another glass oh well), I saw Professor Boyer walk into and around the wine lab. I knew that I had to go introduce myself and ask for a recommendation. After starting with a rosé and a white, Professor Boyer asked if we would be interested in a red of sorts. We all gladly said yes and he came back with a bottle of Pinot Noir from Highway 12.


Name: Highway 12 Pinot Noir
Variety: Pinot Noir
Country: USA
Region: Sonoma, California
Vintage: 2020
Price: On the house from Professor Boyer :) ($21 online)
From the Winery (Back Label):
    The micro-climates of Northern California diversify this wine. The fruit sources for the Pinot Noir hail from the iconic wine country that weaves through California's State Route 12. Having notes of bing cherry, cedar, and allspice, this elegant Pinot Noir is great for all. 
    From City Vino: 100% Pinot Noir, Bright red fruit aromas of bing cherry, allspice, cranberry relish. Subtle cedar and green tea leaf on the finish. Balanced and clean. Soft minerality and light tannins. Pairs well with duck breast with fig reduction and savory wild mushroom risotto with dried cherries.

From Wine Folly (p. 150-151):
    The world's most popular light bodied red is loved for its red fruit and spice flavors that are accentuated by a long, smooth, soft-tannin finish. Thus, it pairs well with duck, chicken, pork, and mushrooms. Some flavors one might see in this wine are cherry, raspberry, clove, mushroom, or vanilla. Being from California, one might see sweet fruit and softer acidity, leading from tastes like raspberry sauce, plum, gun smoke, vanilla, and allspice. 
    
My Review of Highway 12:
    To end my time at the Wine Lab with a glass of pinot noir after I was not expecting to drink a red was a delight. A classic and easy red, the wine had a medium ruby color. On the nose, I got a lot of cherries and possibly some plum. After a second run, the nose got some earthiness to it although I couldn't pick out a true scent. On the tongue, the body was semi-full, giving some tannins at the beginning along with the cherries I expected. In addition to the cherries, almost a tarter jam taste was found on the second taste as well as the earthiness I smelled prior. A great and easy wine to drink for those trying to get into reds, this wine would pair very well with the duck rillette that I had earlier.
    In comparison to the Wine Lab Menu and City Vino, I vaguely agree with them. I am not experienced enough to recognize bing cherry from a regular cherry or a sour one but I do recognize cherry in the wine. Also, I don't know how to recognize allspice and cedar, but I do get notes of the earthiness. I do agree with City Vino that the balance, light tannins, and soft minerality bring a smoothness to the wine.
    In comparison with Wine Folly, I agree with the long, smooth, soft-tannin finish. These words perfectly describe this wine's mouthfeel. I can imagine that the wine would complete a chicken meal with its cherry, vanilla, plum, and allspice flavors. I hope to one day taste gun smoke in a pinot noir as it could be a lovely addition to the wine.

Final Remarks:
    Easy to drink and a great one for beginners, Highway 12's Pinot Noir is a deliciously smooth red for all. With relative simplicity, this wine is easy on the nose, tongue, and soul. I hope to imbibe different Pinot Noirs soon and compare them against each other.
    This is a wine I hope many try on their path to learn this liquid!

Until the Next Drink,
JC

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Silky Edition: Wine Tasting 8 (Red Blend)

 WASSSUP Reader,    To conclude my tastings this week, my girlfriend picked out a red blend from the grocery store. As she is attracted to t...