Sunday, February 5, 2023

Testing in the Lab: Wine Tasting 3 (Zweigelt Rosé)

 Hello Reader!

This past Friday, I had the delightful pleasure to go to the Wine Lab in Blacksburg, VA with some great friends to get some great food and drink. The night started by dwelling over the eclectic menu after a frigid walk to the building. After much deliberation amongst the table on what to eat, we were greeted by a familiar face; my fraternity brother Hayden. Hayden has been working at the Wine Lab for around a year now and guided us on this voyage of grapes and grub. 

After learning from the videos that we should start lighter and then move to reds, we strayed from Hayden's recommendation of the sweet red and moved to the Paul D Zeigelt Rosé 2020.

Name: Paul D Zeigelt Rosé 
Variety: Rosé (Zweigelt Grape)
Country: Austria
Region: Wagram
Vintage: 2020
Price: $28 (1 L)
From the Winery (Wine Lab Menu):
    A dry, light bodied rosé with high acidity. Notes of strawberries, raspberries, rose petals, herbs and great minerality. 
    From Great Grapes: A berry, fruity wine that caresses the palate, has nice mouthfeel and is wonderfully balanced.

From Wine Folly (p. 191): One may taste red cherry, raspberry, black pepper, licorice, or chocolate
    Austria's most planted red wine grape is a cross between Blaufrankisch and St Laurent, tasting almost like a pinot noir, that provides bright, tart, and fruity flavors. Something to pair with barbecue, chicken, macaroni, or salad, it is the ultimate picnic red. 
    
My Review of Paul D Zweigelt:
    To start of the night with this beaut was a joy. This wine has a beautiful medium salmon color that truly catches the eye after it is poured. On the nose, I got hints of rose petals on the first whiff. On the second passing, I got some of the strawberry that was aforementioned. On the tongue, I got the raspberries and rose petals that were all blended together to create a fresh, healthy wine to start the night off. Minerality is a great word to describe how clean the wine tasted. The raspberries taste came almost as if the raspberries were barely not ripe yet. However, I really enjoy that taste and thought that it made the wine unique in comparison to other rosés. As I came back to the wine more and more, I got cherry tastes which was pleasant. Also, the acidity was welcomed with arms open.
    In comparison to the Wine Lab Menu and Great Grapes, I really agree with everything that has been said except for the herbs. I may not be experienced enough to get those tastes but I can say that the other descriptors were spot on
    In comparison with Wine Folly, I agree with almost all of it. While I didn't necessarily get tastes of black pepper, licorice, or chocolate, I can imagine some would. And the minerality may stem from the black pepper. I can imagine this wine will liven up any meal.

Final Remarks:
    Of the wines I've tasted so far, I think this one might be the winner. Easy to drink, clean taste, the perfect way to begin a night with wine. When paired with the adventurous charcuterie board (duck gillette, hot capicolla, bamboozle, valden blue, and accoutrements), it delivered as a great pairing. It allowed the foods to shine through while retaining its flavor.
    This is a wine I hope many try as I know I will be looking for this bottle around Blacksburg.

Until the Next Drink,
JC

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Silky Edition: Wine Tasting 8 (Red Blend)

 WASSSUP Reader,    To conclude my tastings this week, my girlfriend picked out a red blend from the grocery store. As she is attracted to t...