Sunday, February 26, 2023

Cville does it AGAIN :( : Wine Tasting 7 (Rosé)

HEYYYYY Reader!

    We are back with my favorite winery, Early Mountain! As I stated previously, I traveled to this winery over winter break with my aunts, uncles, parents, and girlfriend. The experience was fantastic and a great introduction to wine. In addition to the Five Forks (see the blog post about it!), the rosé was a wine that I really enjoyed in house and something that I wanted to enjoy again. Thus, I purchased a bottle :)

    This is my third favorite wine I have tasted from this winery, Five Forks being #1 and Rise #2.



Name: Early Mountain Rosé
Variety: Rosé
Country: United States
Region: Virginia (Charlottesville)
Vintage: 2021
Price: $21


From the Winery (Website):
    With strawberries, white peaches, and red grapefruit to drive the aromas and tastes, this wine will cleanse the palette with its acidity but leave the drinker feeling fresh with energy. The wine is layered with flavor as the notes blend together in harmony bringing poise and completeness to the wine. It is a composition of 72% Merlot, 10% Malbec, 9% Cabernet Franc, 6% Petit Verdot, and 3% Syrah.
From Wine Folly (p. 168):
    This comes from the Schiava page which is similar to the description on the website.
    A group of several varieties, the finest of which is Schiava Gentile, this sweetly aromatic light-bodied wine has a cherry candy aroma. It wonderfully pairs with shrimp, chicken, tofu, and southeast Asian cuisines that feature basil, ginger, galangal, and other aromatic herbs. Flavors include strawberry, raspberry, rose candy, lemon, and smoke.
My Review of Rosé:
    This rose is clean, fresh, and overall really easy to drink. On the nose, I really do get strawberries. But secondly, I get minerality or freshness. It's hard to describe but the wine smelled fresh when cold. As it heated up, the scent changed to a more acidic aroma which I enjoyed. One could also get a flower herbal scent on the nose faintly. On the tongue, I got strawberries, some citrus, and minerality. Crisp with acidity initially, which I could pick out as an ugly fruit or a grapefruit, the acidity would increase as the wine heated up. This feature truly makes this wine unique as the strawberry flavor balances with the citrus beautifully. 
    In comparison with the winery, I don't necessarily get the white peaches on the tongue but it is a flavor I will specifically look for next time. However, I do agree with the rest of the descriptors. This wine definitely gave me the energy to continue!
    In comparison with Wine Folly, I get the strawberry, raspberry, and rose candy. Something I didn't really figure out, but the herbal taste did run through the wine. I hope to try this with chicken or shrimp in a pasta dish as it sounds delightful.

Final Remarks:
    While I am not a Rosé connoisseur, I have found myself attracted to their crispness and fresh fruit flavor running through them. This wine is much like this description which I picked up the first time I tasted it. I was in Charlottesville this past weekend and knew I had to scour the area for this wine and its Five Forks sibling. Nonetheless, Whole Foods came in clutch and I got to pick up another bottle (and two of Five Forks!) to enjoy in the future.

Until the Next Drink,
JC

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Silky Edition: Wine Tasting 8 (Red Blend)

 WASSSUP Reader,    To conclude my tastings this week, my girlfriend picked out a red blend from the grocery store. As she is attracted to t...