Sunday, February 19, 2023

My Favorite Wine: Wine Tasting 5 (White Blend)

 Hellllloooooooooooo Reader!

Last week, I got to drink currently my favorite wine in the world. Having gone on a tasting trip with my parents, aunts, uncles, and girlfriend this past winter break, I experienced this wine at the winery. Early Mountain, located outside of Charlottesville (ugh), was a beautiful, newer winery with rolling hills and a great tasting room. One of the wines we tasted was named Five Forks after the five vineyards that this wine pulls grapes from. A beautiful white blend, it quickly became my favorite wine and I ended up purchasing a bottle later that trip.


Name: Early Mountain's Five Forks
Variety: White Blend (61% Petit Manseng, 32% Sauvignon Blanc, 4% Chardonnay, 3% Pinot Gris)
Country: USA
Region: Virginia
Vintage: 2020
Price: $27

From the Winery (Website):
    Having aromatics of pear, peach, and mango on repeat, with snappy green flavors, both herbs and piquant orchard fruit, this wine has acid precision and a mineral finish. To prevent it from being a fruit bomb, a secondary texture layered over everything from the Malo mellows it out. 
From Wine Folly (p. 165):
    There is no page on petit manseng; thus, I went with sauvignon blanc instead.
    In this wine, one might find strong herbaceous flavors in addition to gooseberry, honeydew, grapefruit, white peach, and passion fruit. It is wonderful to pair with herb-driven sauces, salty cheeses, light meats, and asian food!
    
My Review of Five Forks:
    As I have constantly said, this wine has been my favorite since I tasted it, and this wine continued to be great even after the tasting. On the nose, the minerality and freshness is easy to pick up. A hint of citrus, possibly grapefruit and pear as well is easy to pick up. On the tongue initially, the balance is really easy to tell. Not overly acidic, not overly sweet, hints of citrus, fresh fruits, such as pear, peach, grapefruit, maybe even lime. One can also taste the light herbs running through the wine in the second tasting, making sure that the balance stays put.
    In comparison with the winery, this wine is very well described. While I don't know the taste of piquant orchard fruit or green flavors, I do taste acid precision and the mineral finish. I also taste and smell the pear and peach. Mango is a tough flavor for me to recognize but I will look for it next time I taste the wine. 
    In comparison with Wine Folly, which is hard to do in this case, I taste the peach and grapefruit. I don't know the taste of gooseberry but I personally didn't get honeydew. As I tasted this wine on super bowl Sunday, I can imagine this wine would taste great with asian food as it tasted fantastic with the salty cheeses and light meats we had on the spread.

Final Remarks:
    A high quality wine and my personal favorite, Five Forks did not disappoint in this bottle. While it is a little more expensive, it is worth splurging on. I plan to go back Early Mountain soon and I'm counting down the days til it.
    This is a wine I recommend to all!

Until the Next Drink,
JC

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Silky Edition: Wine Tasting 8 (Red Blend)

 WASSSUP Reader,    To conclude my tastings this week, my girlfriend picked out a red blend from the grocery store. As she is attracted to t...